Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Eddie Vedder hits the 'Hard Sun' from Into the Wild


The Sean Penn directed-film "Into the Wild" was totally amazing and with the accompanying voice of Pearl Jam's front man Eddie Vedder. This is a turn for Vedder with throughout the song, he is soulful and yet, does a great job in describing the travel of Chris McCandless who travelled to Alaska, yet died at the age of 24 after having given away his life savings. The feeling throughout the song, "Hard Sun" is that of a man who was trying to find his way into a world that was and is full of unexpected changes and reflections.

Vedder, who, throughout the lyrics is able to describe the trials and tribulations of the 24 years old traveler:

When I walk beside her
I am the better man
when i look to leave her
I always stagger back again

Once I built an ivory tower
so I could worship from above
when I climb down to be set free
she took me in again

CHORUS
There’s a big
a big hard sun
beating on the big people
in the big hard world

One would think that Vedder is in the situation, much less the person who is listening to the song. It takes the audience into the life and yet philosophical world of someone who was going to let his family tie him down by the rules; which, is something that McCandless was determined to do.

Also, it showed that McCandless was fearless in his "Alaskan adventure" throughout the voice of Vedder:

Once I stood to lose her
and I saw what i had done
bowed down and threw away the hours
of her garden and her sun

So I tried to want her
I turned to see her weep
40 days and 40 nights
and its still coming down on me

Rating: 4 out of 5

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home